Friday, July 16, 2010

Bumming in Brussels







I arrived in Brussels around 7:00 in the morning on 3 July, and, after jumping on the super clean and efficient metro system, left me downtown at my hotel still pretty early in the morning. I have several rules for travelling, one of which relates to arriving someplace in the morning or mid-day - never, ever, no matter how tired you are, go to bed - just grind it through until a normal bedtime and try and get on schedule. This trip was no exception. After dropping my stuff off at the hotel I just went out for an all-day walk around Brussels. Mainly I was just bumming. I was planning on catching a train to Bruges the next day, and maybe another one to another town on the next day, but on this day I was just wanted to take it easy, get a sense of the layout of the city, and just see what I ran into. So here are a bunch of generally silly pictures of my first day - I've posted the pictures of the Grand Place earlier. Here's a picture of the famous statue of the peeing boy, although decked out in suitable attire for the World Cup. I stopped at a little sweet shop on a side street and had their daily special (which I suspect is exactly the same every day) - ice cream, a warm waffle, and chocolate syrup for 3 euro. Of course, I also had to stop and have some frites, Belgian fries, complete with mayo - in this case with sausage thrown in. I think the fries character looks like he actually belongs in Amsterdam.

No comments: