Friday, July 9, 2010

Lotus Temple




As part of my day of sight-seeing in Delhi I was able to revisit the beautiful Lotus Temple, the extraordinary Baha'i temple. I had visited it years before on my first trip to India as part of a Champlain College team. What was nice about this trip was that I had much greater control over my schedule so I could stay there a lot longer, spend more time in the temple itself thinking/meditating, and also visit the museum dedicated to the history and philosophy of the Baha'i faith (if you look at the third picture you can see the museum in the distance). It was pretty brutally hot, and there is no air-conditioning inside the temple, but it was still a very nice, peaceful experience. You do have to take off your shoes at a distance from the temple, so get ready for a hot walk (again, in the third picture you can see the area where you leave your shoes). The museum is underground and air-conditioned, and a very pleasant way to end the visit. The entire visit is free, but even if it were not it would still be a definite thing to do when seeing Delhi.

No comments: