Saturday, February 16, 2013

Emily's Bridge

Vermont, despite being a very small state, is chock full of the paranormal, although I've yet to see any of it.  I've made a couple trips up to Emily's Bridge, a lovely covered bridge in Stowe, which is supposed to be one of the most haunted spots, although all I've ever gotten out of it is a series of lovely drives (which, truthfully, is quite enough for me).  No one is quite certain who Emily was or why she is associated with the bridge, although there are several theories.  She's supposed to scratch visitors as they pass across the bridge, but no luck (or, conversely, a lot of luck) so far as I am unscathed.  There's also a vague story about how if you leave your car in neutral on the slight incline leading up to the bridge she will push you toward the bridge (actually, I think it's a slight decline, but that ruins the story a bit).  On Laura's first visit to Vermont in the fall we went searching for Emily but couldn't track her down.  Maybe next time we'll come back at night, which I'm sure will lead to creepier results.

This is right before I told her to not look back under any circumstances.

If nothing else it was a beautiful view, and the scenery wasn't bad either.

No comments: