Saturday, February 16, 2013

Laocoon

As is well-documented, whenever I head overseas to any part of the world I am magnetically drawn to any and all museums, which makes traveling with me more than a bit of a pain.  I'm also famous for these almost mystic responses that I have to great works of art, either because I've discussed them in class for years - or because I've never heard of them before and still felt profoundly moved (and appalled at my own ignorance of all things).  On the recent trip to Rome my experience trended, not surprisingly, towards the former.  One of my favorite statues has always been the Laocoon, and it was amazing and also a bit humbling to just stumble across it at the Vatican.  As you know, Laocoon was a Trojan priest who was punished by the gods for pointing out that it might not be a particularly good idea to bring in a large wooden horse left by the Greeks (which gave rise to that very famous saying).  Here he and his sons are being devoured by some sea snakes sent by the gods.  For many reasons it's undeniably a classic, although I suppose mainly because the passion and angst is so representative of the Hellenistic age, as compared to the more balanced and serene sculture of the Hellenic age.  I think I've always been drawn to it because I've always sympathized with Laocoon's battles with the gods and the seeming folly of pointing out the obvious.  Recently I've been involved in a series of battles here in the Champlain College Faculty Senate and I've felt much like poor Laocoon.  Hopefully the gods will treat me more gently, although harsh or gentle treatment never seems to diminish my desire to fight the good fight.

Maybe this should be my self-portrait in Concepts of the Self.

No comments: