Tuesday, February 19, 2013

School of Athens

And here's another great artwork that it was my pleasure to see on the recent trip to Rome.  While I knew that Raphael's masterpiece was in Rome, it still caught me off guard when I walked through the door at the Vatican Museum and saw it.  Not only does The School of Athens take up an entire wall, but it is also still in pristine condition.  I had discussed this work of art in my classes for years, so, much like seeing the Botticelli's Adoration of the Magi in Florence, it was amazing and humbling to see if up close.  Plus, I agree with Raphael - we are all graduates of the School of Athens.  Being in a city with the incredible history of Rome brings home the intellectual legacy of the Greeks and Romans.

And while I look like poor Diogenes sprawled out on the steps, I'm probably much more like Socrates in the upper left starting an argument.

No comments: