Tuesday, December 13, 2016

The Sainted Mrs. Kelley

OK, so I totally swiped this from a Dave Kelley Facebook posting.  It's a picture of Dave, I think on the day he was sworn in as an attorney (and left the world of the good and pure, essentially, officially stopped pursuing his graduate work in history), and his mother.  Her name was Joy, but I only ever referred to her as The Sainted Mrs. Kelley.  There are many reasons why Dave is as fine a man as I've ever met, but one of the biggest is his mother.  As I've opined, although I never complain about my childhood (you can't travel as much as I have and not understand the tremendous virtues of never missing a meal and having a roof over your head), my parents's affection was all too often performance based.  TSMK was one of those great moms (she told me once that she thought Dave was perfect) who gives unconditional love and support.  I think she could have turned even me into a decent person, although it would have worn on her.

I vaguely remember that epicene lad.

No comments: