Saturday, June 2, 2018

Discography Year Two - Week 39

Yes, it is another theme week, and a Theme Week of Excellence.  It was also one that many of us founding challenging (which makes it a metaphor for all of our lives with Dave Kelley).  Here is the assignment as laid out by the esteemed DK:

"There are so many ways that we can experience music, but my favorite by far has always been a great live performance.  Not only can the band or artist flesh out and expand the music they have made in the studio, but the communal sense one gets from sharing the experience with others can often be wonderful.  The Frank Turner show some of us saw in January 2017 on the same day as all of the women's marches was absolutely cathartic and a candle in the darkness of the Trump Inauguration.  Seeing Bruce and the E Street Band for the first time on The River tour is a great memory I will always have.   We have all been lucky enough to see fantastic concerts by many amazing artists over the years.  I am assuming that, like myself, we have all missed out on other shows that would have been amazing.  I decided not to see Pearl Jam in a small club in Cincinnati before they blew up and became hugely popular.  I also passed up an opportunity to see The Talking Heads on their Stop Making Sense Tour.  What a fucking idiot.

Of course, we have not been able to see other wonderful shows because we were too young or not yet born.  I would kill to see a James Brown Show in the 50's or 60's.  The same would be true of Marvin Gaye, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, etc.

So here is my idea for the next theme week.  You are presented with a time machine and the opportunity to see any live show at any point in history.  It could be Mozart giving a recital, The Beatles at a small club in Hamburg, Bruce on the Darkness Tour, Robert Johnson in a 1930's Mississippi juke joint, or Louis Armstrong in the Big Easy.  It could be Neil Young and Crazy Horse from earlier this week.

So, what band or artist would you choose to see and during what period of time.  Show your work."

And this seems like a perfectly apt question considering that today I spent a glorious Vermont afternoon in a downtown park with KA, KS and PS enjoying the Vermont Discover Jazz Festival.  As the esteemed DK opined the other night on Facebook, life is pretty sweet when we aren't actively trying to fuck it up.


Dave Wallace

A very interesting theme for this week's blog, and I've spent too much time considering it.  I've been lucky to see a number of artists at what is generally considered their live peak:  Springsteen on the Darkness tour, Talking Heads on the Stop Making Sense tour, R.E.M. following the release of Life's Rich Pageant, Prince touring behind Purple Rain, and Lucinda Williams on the Car Wheels tour.  All of these shows left me with the same feeling - when there, you knew that you were witnessing something unique and special.  When thinking of shows I wish I'd seen, here are some of the ones that come to mind:

James Brown - There Was a Time


I saw James Brown in the '80s and really enjoyed the show.  Much of his act had devolved into shtick by this point, but he still was a dynamic live performer.  Yet, I know that it was nothing close to his heyday when he may have been the greatest live act in the history of popular music.  The video and audio here is pretty grainy and not great quality, but it definitely gives you a sense of how amazing he was.  Brown owns the stage, and his band is locked into a killer groove behind him.

Bob Dylan and the Band – Like a Rolling Stone 


Dylan Goes Electric!  Dylan's tour with the Band after Highway 61 remains one of the most important in rock history.  A lot of the folk purists were upset with him for using electric instruments, and the tour was a raucous affair.  The exchange at the beginning of this video where an audience calls Dylan a "Judas" and he has a few choice words in response is one of his most famous moments.  I'd heard audio of this version of Like a Rolling Stone before, but I had no idea that there was video of the performance.  Dylan is focused and intense, and the Band sounds amazing behind him.  Interesting side note - Levon Helm elected to sit out the tour, so there's a different drummer with the Band (who weren't even called that then).

Sam & Dave - Hold On I'm Coming


Sam & Dave were considered one of the great live acts in the history of soul music, and you can see why from this video.  Bonus greatness - their backing band here is Booker T & MGs, plus the Memphis Horns.  Soul music royalty all around!

Van Morrison and the Caledonia Soul Orchestra - Caravan


Van Morrison's tour with the Caledonia Soul Orchestra generally is considered to be his live peak as a performer, and the live album, It's Too Late to Stop Now, from that tour is a great representation of its highlights.  This clip is their version of Caravan, one of my favorite Morrison songs.  I have never seen Morrison in concert, which is one of the biggest gaps in my concert-going experience.

The Replacements – Bastards of Young


I passed up a few chances to see the Replacements in concert over the years, scared off by their reputation as wildly erratic live performers, and I regret that now.  Apparently, they could be the best or the worst band in the world, depending on what night you saw them.  I wasn't interested in being subjected to a crappy show, but I wish that I'd taken that chance now.  It would have been worth the roll of the dice to see them at their best.  No video for this song, just audio of a live version of Bastards of Young.


Bob Craigmile

I will go out on a limb and guess that others have (or thought about) written about the original Woodstock concert as their show from the past.   In contrast to the rules (such as they are, limiting us to one artist) I think I would opt for the entire weekend.  The music! The Drugs! The Nudity!  Mudsliding!!!

I have watched the movie a few times over the years, at least once in a theater.  For me, the somewhat incongruous lineup (Sha Na Na and Carlos Santana?) just adds to the charm.  I keep thinking of The Who as being so alive and mesmerizing, with Daltrey swinging that big mic. over the edge of the stage 15 feet away.  Such energy and exultation.  

The performance of Alvin Lee and Ten Years After is just completely insane.  The amount of drugs he was on was just right imho.  

The group Mountain was on that bill;  I saw them 8 years later in Cincinnati with a high school buddy and they were great both times.  One hit wonders perhaps, but still the real deal.  Richie Havens also sticks in my mind as just killing it, and he kept playing as he walked off the stage.  

There is of course the ending set by Mr. Hendrix to consider;  there is a point in his playing where he looks at the camera directly and to me it's absolutely chilling.  He was dead by the time the movie was released I think.  His version of the Star Spangled Banner effectively marked the end of the 60's.

Would I go to such a thing now? No way;  the Bonnaroo festival is just up the road and I refuse to go.  It was hard enough to attend Farm Aid 30 a few years ago; I'm pushing 60 and one can only tolerate so much.  But if I could attend it in my 20 year old body it would be an easy choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur522xbwoFE  < outtakes, not the movie.


Kevin Andrews

Recently GS asked me how many concerts I had been to. I had no idea. He asked which was my favorite. He asks a lot of questions. I’ve saved the ticket stub from just about every concert I’ve been to. I I have a short list of the most memorable but I don’t think I have a favorite and certainly not room for it here. All the stubs go into a plastic ziplok bag. I don’t look at them much, I just mindlessly add to it.

For Christmas last year a friend gave me an photo album like book made to hold tickets. I really wasn’t motivated to deal with them until Dave’s theme made me dump out the bag last week. First, I separated them by decade, putting them in chronological order is not going to happen. Many stubs are small and don’t have the date, just some notes on the back. After counting I put them back in brand new plastic bags by decade. I counted 144 and I’ve since thought of a bunch that I don’t have or weren’t ticketed. I’m guessing there should be about 175. Most shows have two acts, some three or four. I went to the Philadelphia Folk Festival for a few years where over the course of the weekend you saw six or seven legit acts each day. It’s probably over 400 artists.

All that boring crap is just to say there are still shows I would have like to have seen. Lots of shows. So, what band or artist would you choose to see and during what period of time. I came up with nine shows, one of which is what every right thinking person should choose. There is only one answer. Here they are in order of preference.

1972 Todd R. at the Tower Theater, Upper Darby PA. Home town boy at my home town theater, I was 12. I remember the mayor gave him the key to the township. I also remember thinking, as he no doubt did, who the fuck would want that?
1970 Allman Brothers, Fillmore East NYC. Fortunately we have the album.
1974 Little Feat, Los Angeles. Big regret never seeing them with Lowell.
1973 Bruce, Stone Pony, Asbury Park, NY. After The Wild, The Innocent. Before things hit the fan.
1981 REM, Athens, GA. Changing the game.
1976 Elvis Costello CBGB, NYC. I’ve seen him four times since, I doubt with that much energy.
1934 Django Reinhardt and Stéphane Grappelli, The Hot Club Paris. This is why they called it the Hot Club.

And the correct answer, 1967 Jimi Hendrix at the Monterey Pop Festival. Just add lighter fluid. In fairness to other guitar players he was playing two instruments, the guitar and the amplifier.


Phillip Seiler

This theme week was a struggle for me. I was fighting against two truths. One, there are almost an infinite number of good choices to this question. Two, when I was discovering my musical identity I didn't much care for live music. I preferred the clean, perfected sound of a studio recording. It didn't help that most of my early concerts were mid-stadium sized events of mainstream bands (Chicago & Moody Blues come to mind.) The first show I saw that broke me out of this thinking was Suzanne Vega. Ironically it was her opening act, Richard Thompson (!!!) that opened up my appreciation of what a live show could be. He basically came on stage and asked for requests and then played them. I would love to go back and experience that show again because I was unaware of Thompson's music up to that point. But that will not be my choice here. 

Instead, I will take my machine and go back to some random date in the mid 50s to catch whatever show is at Birdland. (I am sure that I am suffering from some recency effect here as Kathy and I just saw the Blue Note documentary film and Jazz Fest has just begun in Burlington.) I might stay a few days just to make sure I catch someone legendary. Or not. I mean it would be great to be at the show where Blakey recorded "A Night At Birdland" but we also have those records so it wouldn't be strictly necessary. I love randomness and often just trust to luck to dump me where I need to be, hear what I need to hear, see what I need to see. It is probably a terrible life strategy. But as near as I can tell all life strategies end in the same basic way. 

So maybe I would catch Clifford Brown or Horace Silver or Stan Getz or somebody time has forgotten. Maybe Frank Sinatra or Marilyn Monroe or Jack Kerouac would be in the audience. Or maybe it would just be a bunch of folks from Jersey for a night in the city. Since I have the luxury of knowing where I am and why it is so essential to our collective musical history, it would be enough. That these musicians were reinventing the most American of art forms as the world was on fire around them is unfathomable to me. You really can hear the world and all that is happening in this music and yet it is still so full of joy and hope. 

Admittedly, it would be amazing to have been there this night:



Kathy Seiler

Wade in the Water (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg_8L96E3eU)

 

I’m going a little rogue with this theme week while staying in the spirit of the theme. I’ve always been a fan of spirituals and know their origin as songs sung by slaves. If I had a time machine, I probably (honestly) wouldn’t WANT to go back in time to when slavery in the US existed, but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t do it if I had the option. As a white person, the shame I feel for how my race has treated, and continues to treat, others is overwhelming at times. We say “white people suck” with some frequency in our house and I try not to be a sucky white person, although I’m sure I fail at times. I don’t even identify fully with my race although I admittedly enjoy its privilege.

 


My song this week is not by a band in a venue, but the spiritual Wade in the Water, used as a tool by the Underground Railroad to give slaves direction for escape. I not only love the music itself and can hear its influence on the blues (another genre I listen to with frequency), but I love that it outsmarted the slave owners and helped the oppressed to their freedom. How incredibly clever to encode instructions and directions in songs, and how ironic so many of the spirituals were about Moses and the slavery of his people. Music is both a communication tool and outlet for emotion, and the spirituals are the perfect marriage of those two things.



Dave Kelley

I considered a ridiculous number of options here.  Louis Armstrong playing in the Treme, Sinatra backed by a big band, late sixties James Brown, an early Elvis concert, Muddy Waters in a small Chicago juke joint, etc.

At the end of the day, the truest answer for me is The Who in 1970.  While I saw them multiple times, they were well past their prime.  And by past their prime, I mean after Keith Moon died.  When he was alive and healthy, they were for my money arguably the best live rock band ever.  What a fucking rhythm section.

I choose 1970 because they had extended their show to include non Tommy material.  While Who's Next is a great record, some or those songs work better on vinyl than live.  That record came out in 1971.

Sticking with my instrumental theme from last week, I chose "Sparks" which I think exemplifies the best of their playing.


Alice Neiley

I'm ashamed to say I haven't been to many live concerts (at least compared to most of you!), though the ones I've seen have been amazing...Martin Sexton, Aretha Franklin, Nickel Creek, Al Green, Bobby McFerrin, Earth Wind and Fire, Lake Street Dive, and I think that's about it, but the one person I would see if I could would, hands down, be Ella Fitzgerald in her prime. Specifically, her performance in Berlin, 1960, which thankfully was also recorded. 

I can't imagine anything more exciting, for example, than to hear her sing Mack the Knife that night, when she forgot the words and you could hear her smiling. I wrote about that version of that song for my first post on this blog, and I'd love to have seen/heard it unfold in person. 

Not only that, she also sang "Misty" that night, her voice sounding like ribbons, AND she sang "Summertime", a song that is most accurately performed by Sarah Vaughan, a bit deeper and grittier, but that Ella manages to slam dunk anyway, AND she sang "Lady is a Tramp", the irreverent lyrics for which I've always loved and related to, AND she sang "How High the Moon" and her scat solo was almost entirely based on Charlie Parker's "Ornithology", a tune which, incidentally, was based on chord changes in "How High the Moon"!  

I mean, can you REALLY get better than all that, live?!? 









Cindy Morgan

This is a tough assignment and I have been giving it the deep think for 2 weeks. My knee-jerk response was the Prince "Purple Rain" tour because it was probably the only concert at that time that I really wanted to see and didn't. And now that Prince had gone to the great purple beyond and I missed that chance way back I definitely regret it even more. I was pretty lucky growing up in Los Angeles with fairly permissive parents who let me see tons of shows. Permissive might be a euphemism for "naive," or perhaps "kept in the dark." Lots of memories of spending the night on the sidewalk outside Music Plus on Pacific Coast Highway in Hermosa Beach waiting to buy tickets for shows then going to The Palladium, the Forum, Irvine Meadows, the Greek, the Colosseum (U2!!!) for shows. . . I digress.


!!!CLICHE WARNING!!!


If I could see any piece of music performed live at any time I would teleport back to 1824 Vienna for the premier of Beethoven's 9th symphony. Yeah. I know. Total cliche. But. . .what must it have been like with him there conducting next to the guy who could actually hear and was really conducting? Hearing what it was MEANT to sound like on the instruments of the day with the timing he intended? I think everyone there knew he was deaf and yet had written this soaring and joyful piece of music. The first symphony with a chorale--I mean what must people have been expecting? How did they process it once they had heard it? It's not like they could download it and listen to it again on their phones. Luckily he gave it that catchy melody. . .  To see a completely new and revolutionary addition to the genre--and a piece that always has the power to bring me to tears--well, cliche or not I'm sticking with it. Also: who wouldn't want to see Vienna in the 1820s?


Gary Scudder

Like most of you (one of the advantages/disadvantages of hosting this discussion is that I see all the posts before anyone else) I struggled with this week's question, which, in my mind, makes it a good question.  Of course, this is me speaking as a professor who believes that if my students don't leave the class every day questioning their grasp on reality then I've failed in my job.  In the end there were three obvious choices:

Drive-By Truckers with Jason Isbell.  What I'm about to say is heresy, I know, and I will be shouted down by many on this blog, but I'm actually generally OK with Jason Isbell not being part of Uncle Tupelo anymore. Mainly, I guess I’m happy for his sobriety and his happiness, but he’s also too talented of a magician to be limited to only two songs an album.   Truthfully, every album that he get further away from his DBT days I think his efforts get weaker, whereas the Truckers keep producing great music and putting on fantastic shows (I’ve seen him solo twice – and loved it both times – and have seen the Drive-By Truckers twice – and I thought they were simply better; although, to be fair, seeing them in an intimate venue like Higher Ground is always better than someplace like the Flynn). Having said all that, I can’t imagine what it would be like to have seen them together before he went his own way. Here’s a live performance from Richmond from a dozen years ago of Outfit. “Don’t ever say your car is broke.” 

Miles Davis (who ARTI know was the greatest genius of the 20th century) was a part of many great groups, but it’s hard to imagine that he was ever part of a better group – or that any jazz musician was ever part of a better group – or maybe any musician period was ever part of a better group – than the one that is associated with Kind of Blue: Davis on trumpet, Julian “Cannonball” Adderley on alto saxophone, John Coltrane on alto saxophone, Bill Evans on piano, Paul Chambers on double bass, and Jimmy Cobb on drums (Wynton Kelly played piano on Freddie Freeloader on Kind of Blue, but that doesn’t relate to the theme question).  Jazz has become incredibly important to me and I listen to it well over half the time that I listen to music anymore.  The thought of seeing THAT group in its prime is more than a bit overwhelming.  I’m including a link to a really rare live recording featuring the Sextet, although Red Garland is listed as the pianist when actually it was Evans.  About half-way through My Funny Valentine kicks in and it’s pretty epic (although, truthfully, I don’t think it’s nearly his best recording of it).  I’d love to have seen them play most of the songs off of Kind of Blue mixed in with a few standards such as My Funny Valentine or Stella By Starlight.

OK, so how do I top those two choices?  Well, my first choice will hardly surprise anyone.  It’s hard for me to imagine that I’d want to see anyone more than Neil Young backed by Danny Whitten-era Crazy Horse.  I think that set this apart is that there’s an emotional attachment here that the first two choices simply can’t match.  While I love Miles Davis and the Drive-By Truckers I was introduced to rock by Young and the thought of being transferred to that time – and that age – is simply something that artists from a later period of my life couldn’t possibly match.  MK and I were talking about this question a couple weeks ago and he made the excellent point that your age will determine your choice, and he’s completely correct.  It’s not like later Crazy Horse couldn’t blow it out – this version of Like a Hurricane is just about the most incendiary song imaginable – but Crazy Horse was certainly much more of a band when Whitten was alive.  Here are a couple great examples: Down By The River and Cowgirl In The Sand.






No comments: