Saturday, May 26, 2018

The Remains Of The Day

There are days that are so perfect that they almost defy description, or even understanding. I've already opined that our recent trip to Jordan was the best trip I've ever led for innumerable reasons. When Cyndi and I redesigned the previous Jordan trip we decided that we wanted to spend two days in the Wadi Rum as compared to one (really, truthfully, it was less than one last time) and this was one of the best decisions we ever made.  While our full day in the Wadi Rum was defined by the eight hour camel ride through the desert (the pictures of which I'm still organizing) every part of the day was epic.  In between riding camels and before heading back into the desert to read passages from the Arabian Nights, we climbed up on the rock outcropping above our camp to watch the sun go down. We didn't have the perfect angle for it (our old camp was smaller but we could look directly west; nevertheless, I still think I preferred this one more). The view was breathtaking, but I think it is the camaraderie that I'll always cherish.  We had completely bonded, and sitting up there with students who had become friends was priceless.

Truthfully, what can one even say about the Wadi Rum?  We're so excited to be planning our next trip back there for November 2019, which, as we all know, is my farewell trip.

My friend, colleague and little sister Cyndi.

Ashley, who just about went Bedu on the trip.

From top to bottom: Isa, Ines and Liza.

Left to right: Rebecca, Cat and Kally.

Maria, who completely blossomed on the trip. She took some amazing pictures, successfully rebounding from a cracked lens (which led to our own mini-adventure in tracking down a new one).

Hannah, trust me, soaking up the sunset.

One of my favorite shots: Isa watching the sun go down.  You can see our camp in the distance.

I normally hate it when people say things like "I can't wait til . . ." when what they really mean is that "I'm really looking forward to . . ." It's clumsy use of language, because there's precious little that we can't wait for.  Having said that, I can't wait to get back to the Wadi Rum.


No comments: