Saturday, August 18, 2018

Discography Year Two - Week 50

By the time the nano overlords release this week's Discography posting I will be somewhere in Miami with the esteemed Jack Schultz: my bets are either spread piecemeal among the bellies of several thankful alligators or trapped, ankle-deep in blood Dexter-like, in some abandoned metal container.  Doubtless, I will have earned either fate, but by then I will have had epic fun with JS and I won't care one way or another.

Me explaining my fears to Jack as we enter the swamp.

Dave Wallace

U2 - Bad 

Not sure how I've made it this far in the blog without including a U2 song.  It's interesting how they've become almost a "love 'em or hate 'em" band, but I'm definitely in the "love 'em" category.  They have an incredibly deep catalogue with a ton of terrific songs.  Bad is one of my favorites.

So the death of Aretha Franklin compels me to add a bonus song for this week:

Aretha Franklin - Old Landmark 

I'd already submitted my blog song for the week, but the passing of Aretha Franklin compels me to send something else along remembering the Queen of Soul.  Clearly the greatest female soul singer ever, and likely the greatest soul singer, regardless of gender, Franklin was a force of nature, and her run of essential songs and albums from the 60's is extraordinary.   While I love all of her classic soul material, Franklin, like many of her contemporaries, started singing in the church, and she was an incredible gospel singer.  One of my favorite Franklin albums is Amazing Grace, a gospel album that she recorded at the peak of her artistic and commercial success.  The whole thing is great, and Old Landmark rocks as hard as anything that you'll ever hear.


Phil Seiler

Aretha Franklin

Some idiot angry baseball head on twitter wrote the obituary for Aretha for National Review and in it declared her second best as a vocalist to Kelly Clarkson so I happily return to my comfortable position that conservative opinions about everything are trash. RIP Aretha.


Dave Kelley

Amanda Shires. "Eve's Daughter"

I totally agree with all of DW's comments about the new Amanda Shires release.  A really damn fine record.  I could have selected several songs off it but will go with this one.  Some fine guitar work from Mr. Shires.


Gary Scudder

Patty Griffin, Florida

I've been thinking about talking about this song for some time now, so it's not just a celebration of my long-overdue trip to visit the esteemed Jack Schultz in Miami. I've become a huge Patty Griffin fan, and I curse the times I know she passed through Burlington before I knew who she was. One of the things I appreciate most about her song-writing is her beautiful use of imagery. The song is about two young women escaping to Florida.  She gives the night an identity so real its almost tangible: "The night wants to kiss you deep/ and be on his way/ pretend he don't know you the very next day." The song is off the album Impossible Dream, which is highly recommended.








No comments: