Saturday, August 11, 2018

Holmavik: A Still Small Voice

It's very rare that I take good pictures, but on our trip to Iceland it seemed almost impossible to not take good pictures.  I think it was simply because the days were so short and the sun was perpetually so low in the sky, which meant that the light was extraordinary. Here's a picture I snapped of Holmavik as Gary and I took off for an absolutely amazing day, maybe my favorite of all time.  Holmavik is the town that houses the Museum of Icelandic Sorcery & Witchcraft. It's hard to imagine it ever being bustling, but apparently it is in the summer. There was a quiet there that I don't think has ever left me.

Looking back at it now for some reason one of my favorite passages from the Quran keeps running through my head: "And remember thy Lord in thy soul, humbly and in awe, being not of loud voice, in the morning and the evening . . ."


No comments: