Monday, July 22, 2019

Camel Ride in the Wadi Rum

I've already talked a lot about the epic camel ride we took through the desert on the March 2018 trip so I don't think I have much to add; mainly I just wanted to post some pictures. All I'll add is the reminder that the some of the students were a little hesitant about it when we talked about it in class, and in fact asked if maybe we couldn't replace it with a jeep trip (which is an option). In the end it was almost uniformly there favorite moment in Jordan, and some of them to this day still describe it in almost mystical terms.

After a quick breakfast we began to prep for the trip. The Bedu wandered in from their camps.

Liza and Ines. Our three camels were tied together, which gave me the chance to gab with them for hours on end.

We're about ready to take off. 

And here we go.

This is the first stop, a chasm (which I've featured on other blog posts). It's also featured on the jeep tour option.

There is a stream, which Ashley didn't quite ford successfully. She didn't mind, and it gave her the opportunity to ride her camel bare footed.

A goodly number of the crew.
Standing: Rebecca, Emma, Liza, Cat, Issa, Maria, Ashley, Nik.
Kneeling: Ines, Hannah

Our first break. I enjoy riding camels, although getting on and off them is a challenge.

I know I've posted this picture before, but, come on, it's epic, and the reason why the word metaphor was invented: my truly excellent friend Cyndi and her camel.

It looks like outtakes from Lawrence of  Arabia. Genevieve also took the opportunity, not surprisingly, to ride barefooted.

Our second stop, also featured on the jeep version, and the very popular bridge. Liza, inexplicably running.

That moment when Genevieve realized that she had to climb back down from the stone bridge.

Michael, who also went with me on trips to India and Zanzibar, will tell you with conviction that Jordan was his favorite one. Of course, he's got a major Lawrence of Arabia fascination. Allegedly he and I are going to take the four day camels ride from the Wadi Rum to Petra, which includes camping out in the desert under the stars. I always criticize my students when they say they can't wait (when they actually mean that they're looking forward to something) but I can't for our camel journey adventure.

Stopping for lunch.

The crew happily sitting down to eat.

Looking out from the chasm where we took our lunch break at the ever patient camels.

Our last stop, which featured a huge sand dune. I loved that Liza ran down the hill like a lunatic, fell magnificently, got up favoring her arm, us figuring out that she may have had a bit of a shoulder separation, before she climbed up to the top to run down again. Buffalo chicks are tough.

One of my all-time favorite pictures I've ever taken of a student: Rebecca climbing up for a bit of peace and quiet, and transcendence.

You know, camels really aren't that bad. Of course, I never share with them the fact that I've eaten camel before, repeatedly. I think it would cause misunderstandings.


No comments: