Tuesday, December 31, 2019

The Gospel According to Nasr

By now it should be clear to anyone who read this blog that I have a major academic/man crush in Seyyed Nasr, and sometimes it passes on to my students. Here's a great moment that I missed because I was laid up with a bum knee. My student Matthew squirrelled away a copy of Nasr's Islamic Art and Spirituality, which we read in the class, in this suitcase so that he could reread it to the rest of the students. Here he is reading from Nasr in front of the Monastery in Petra. Granted, the Monastery is not a great example of Islamic art and spirituality, but it's the thought that counts.

This reminds me of the time I dragged Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom, a much bigger tome, around on my first trip to Jordan and then read it to the other professors in the room in the castle that Lawrence was discussing (my most nerdy in a life of nerdy moments).


No comments: