Monday, December 16, 2019

What It Means - Day 273

"This is the Book in which there is no doubt, a guidance for the reverent . . ."
Quran 2:2

This is the first verse, after the separated letters, from the second surah, al-Baqarah, "The Cow." I chose this so that I could discuss the concept of taqwa, which, I have to admit, I first came into contact with years ago while watching the Taqwacore, a documentary on the rise of punk Islam.

Nasr tell us in the commentary:

"Reverent translates muttaqin, which comes from the central Quranic concept of taqwa, rendered in this translation as reverence. Taqwa comes from the root w-q-y, which evokes the sense of wariness, care, and protection. As it concerns the attitude of human beings toward God, taqwa conveys the sense of fear, mindfulness, and a constant awareness of God's Presence and Power. As evidence in this verse and many others (such as 49:13: Surely the most noble of you before god are the most reverent of you), reverence is a central spiritual virtue in the Quran along with such other qualities as trust (tawakkul), hope (raja), piety (birr) fear (khawf), and contentment (rida)." (pp. 14-15)

As I always propose, everyone, Muslim and non-Muslim alike, should own a copy of Nasr's Study Quran. Truthfully, I don't know where I would be without the beautiful translation and the rich commentary to add context. Now, what do I think a "constant awareness of God's Presence and Power" means? I think it means leads an active, intentional, mindful life, being constantly aware of your place in the universe and the needs of those around you.



No comments: