Monday, December 23, 2019

What It Means - Day 280

"Say, 'O disbelievers! I worship not what you worship; nor are you worshippers of what I worship; nor am I a worshipper of what you worship; nor are you worshippers of what I worship. Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.'"
Quran 109:1-6

I can't believe that I haven't discussed this surah (the entirety of the one hundred and ninth, al-Kafirun, here rendered as "The Disbelievers") before, but according to my scribbled notes I haven't. My notes also say, "Learn in Arabic," in that it's a surah that I would like to routinely feature in my daily prayers. This is one of the best examples in the Quran of the leaving people of different beliefs alone; even if you think that they are wrong, and you take a more negative read on this, the notion is that God will sort them out in the end. I have my students read this surah quite often, although they, oddly, tend to take this more negatively, which may just relate to the fact that they take all religions and religious texts negatively.


No comments: