Saturday, December 21, 2019

What It Means - Day 278

"By the panting chargers, by the strikers of sparks, by the raiders at dawn, raising a trail of dust, penetrating to the center altogether, truly man is ungrateful to his Lord, and truly he is a witness to that, and truly he is fierce in his love for good things."
Quran 100:1-8

Here are the first eight verses of the one hundredth surah, al-Adiyat, here rendered as "The Chargers." I love the imagery, certainly, and you can get a sense of the Arabic love of poetry - and of horses. In the end I think I chose it for the eighth verse, "and truly he is fierce in his love for good things." It's another Quranic reminder that human beings inevitably focus on the wrong things. It seems to me that with every passing year I care less and less about my possessions, and the things of this world. As Lester Burnham tells us in American Beauty, "it's just a couch! This isn't life, it's just stuff."


No comments: