Thursday, April 23, 2020

Sunset at Petra

Here's what could have been a great photograph if I actually had a great camera - and if I were actually a great photographer. As I sit and look at old photographs I can't believe that I never invested in a decent camera. I remember when I was in Abu Dhabi I went through something like four cameras, none of them particularly great, in the space of a couple months because of 1) smashy-smashy, 2) ill-timed big wave, 3) ill-placed sand while taking pictures in the desert, and 4) something else I've forgotten. Obviously, there's a reason why I didn't invest in a really nice camera.

I snapped this picture from the rooftop of a restaurant in Petra when I was visiting my friend Sally. Considering we're getting ready to blow into another Ramadan I guess the shape of the moon is fitting. However, in this case I keep coming back to the concept of sunset. I've already canceled next fall's Jordan trip, and I can't believe that my scheduled sabbatical spring semester of 2021 will actually come together for innumerable reasons. I'm certainly not getting any younger, and a pandemic rages. Will I ever make it back to Jordan? It's a painful thought that I may never see that beloved country again.

Still, if I never make it back to Jordan, or even overseas, it was a lovely run.

No comments: