Monday, April 13, 2020

We're Still Open

Despite the challenges provided by the COVID-19 pandemic we're still open at the Food Shelf, thankfully. I missed the first couple weeks after returning from India because of enforced self-isolation, although less for the India part of the trip as compared to passing through Heathrow. Then I missed another week because I was feeling slightly under the weather for a couple hours on a Thursday afternoon. Any other time I would have assumed I just didn't sleep well that night (who is sleeping well right now, other than sociopathic presidents, I suppose) but in this day and age I decided to not chance it. Happily, I was able to get back to the Food Shelf last week, both Thursday night and Saturday morning. It was busy both night, and I can't help but think that the numbers are going to explode in the week to come as more and more people get laid off. We take our preparation very seriously, including all of us wearing masks and gloves, washing our hands frequently (even while wearing the gloves), and practicing social distancing even inside of the Food Shelf. None of the customers are allowed in, and instead we just have them come up and stay in the car, while we bring out pre-packed boxes and bags. Truthfully, in addition to helping out, it's also made me feel a hell of a lot better, and it's helping a bit to overcome the loneliness and sadness caused by the pandemic-inspired isolation and also the breakup. I'm now leaving the house three times a week: Thursday and Saturday for the Food Shelf, and Sunday for a quick trip to Shaw's.
Yes, appropriately masked gloves and socially distanced. Amazingly, and although you can't see it, we're also smiling.

A typical pre-packaged box. This is a picture I've shared on Facebook on Twitter. You'd think the toilet paper alone would get people to rally.

No comments: