Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Journey Through the Past: Working Out in Mumbai


I've written before about my constant attempts/adventures in trying to find places to work out overseas. I guess I don't want to go back to the immense man I was several years ago, but it also just keeps me feeling better physically (sadly, I'm past the age when it gives me a good body - now it just keeps the various and sundry pieces in smoother working order) and is a great stress reducer (unfortunately, still a major part of my life). I've discovered that overseas, especially on long trips, working out also helps to create a schedule to the day. When I spent the summer of 2004 teaching at our Mumbai campus one of the biggest reasons why it went so well (beyond the extraordinary efforts of my dear friends John and Raj to make me happy) was finding a place to work out. A few blocks down the street from Mr. Gary's apartment was Sykz Fitness Center, which prides itself on being "the" location for Mumbai's young and beautiful (and me). It really helped my mood to have a place to go to every morning to work out - and it had great showers (which was much better than the shower with very limited hot water in my apartment). Most of the patrons were "posers" (borrowing a term from my son's skate boarding days - this was the ultimate insult for a while), but the staff were really dedicated. It was also one of the times when it really hit home with me how being in India had changed me - in this case naturally falling into the habit of haggling over everything. I stopped in to ask how much a two month membership would cost, and after being quoted a figure I automatically responded, "I just don't see me paying that much, how about . . ." And, after a few minutes of back and forth, we agreed upon a figure.

No comments: