Thursday, April 28, 2011

Riding or Wading


Finally the weather has broken, sort of, and allowed me to get my bike out. This has been just about the most dreary spring I can remember since I moved to Vermont. We've had precious few good days, but luckily this week has given us three days that, if you watched the Weather Channel and figured out your windows of opportunity, you could get out. Yesterday was my first long ride when I rode from my office up to Airport Park in Colchester. It was a lovely day for a ride, but in between all the rain we've been having (although, thankfully, it hasn't been anything like what our poor friends in the South have been suffering through) there is some flooding. The bike path runs right along the edge of Lake Champlain and I was expecting to hit some spots that were impassable, but, amazingly, beyond this little spot it wasn't too bad. I did see several folks ride their bikes through the water, but, discretion being the better part of valor, I just turned my bike around and meandered a different way through a neighborhood and reached the same goal (and I suppose there is some profound, or not so profound, lesson there).

1 comment:

KBL said...

I drove out to New Harmony yesterday, and I could see the Wabash River from the road into New Harmony. This is not something one wants to see when driving in from the East. The river is up to the section of the mounds that can be seen from the Interpretive Center, although thank God I can't see it from my house. Yet. It rained last night, is supposed to rain today and tomorrow. And Tuesday. Yippee.