Thursday, April 14, 2011

"Only one!"




OK, more pictures from the rediscovered treasure trove of lost pictures. Again, here are a few from my first trip to Dubai. This must have begun my love affair with the camel. They were all taken on the same desert trip that led to the jeep being stuck on top of the sand dune. Here's an adorable picture of a baby camel, and a much more portly Scudder making friends. The last picture, which is hard to make out because it was taken at night, shows me getting my first camel ride. That's when I learned the hard way that you really have to bolster yourself when the camel sits down because they do so pretty violently and if you aren't careful you'll eviserate yourself. The guy in charge of the camels, who had been putting two women on a camel, and after getting a look at my unimaginable girth, shook his head and said, "Only one!" Later we were standing in line at a buffet and one of the Arabic men dolling out food looked at me and said, "You are a big man, I will give you more." His neighbor, started laughing, and jumped in with, "I too will give him more." I then came home and lost sixty pounds. When even the bedouins are laughing at you I think it's time to lose weight.

No comments: