Saturday, September 3, 2011

Four Corners


I've settled in at Abu Dhabi but I wanted to take the advantage of an off-day to get caught up on some long-delayed blogging. I'll also post some pictures of my new digs here at the Radisson Blu. First off, however, a brief tribute to the Four Corners of the Earth deli, the proud possessor of the best sandwiches in Vermont. It's one of those classic places that you have to know about to find. They do absolutely no advertising, and they're tucked away in a little corner down on Pine Street - and they don't take credit cards. There are only around five tables and often a pretty good wait, especially now because the owner seems to be making all the sandwiches himself without any help (I can't decide whether this is a result of bad economic times or whether the fantastic crew are trapped by Vermont flood waters). My favorite sandwich is the Iraqi Turkey, but lately he's made us an adapted sandwich - sort of a Jamaican with turkey (originally created one day when he was out of ingredients) that is now running neck and neck with the Iraqi. I order the Iraqi all the time and the staff go through this pantomine of telling me about this new sandwich called the Iraqi Turkey that I should consider, and I let myself be talked into it. Believe, all the sandwiches there are great - and a welcome change of pace of the culinary wasteland that is Vermont.

No comments: