Monday, September 19, 2011

Queueing Up for Petrol



On the way home from school today we finally had to stop and put some gas in the car. That turned out to be quite the adventure because we headed out a way that we didn't normally go, and our 20 minute drive turned into an hour drive, but getting the gas itself was pretty painless. There was a pretty long queue, which we figured related to the paucity of gas station as compared to the lack of any petroleum in the UAE. We ended up paying 1.61 dirhams per liter, which, if my math is correct, works out to $1.66 per gallon. Many of my friends back in the States were pretty horrified by how low it was (although it is apparently much cheaper in neighboring Saudia Arabic, as you might expect). I did have to admit to people that it tends to balance out, in that I paid $30 for fish & chips and one beer at a cool bar downtown over the weekend (which I'll blog about later). I also paid $30 for a cheesburger and one Coke in Dubai once time, although the burger did have an egg on top and was potentially the best burger I ever had in my entire life.

No comments: