Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Ghost Walks

It's payday, which is always a nice feeling - especially for my numerous creditors. And, I actually have a local bank to deposit the funds, at least until wiring them back to the Vermont Federal Credit Union, and then sent on electronically to various and sundry companies. It's amazing how all of these things are carried out electronically, or at least amazing to an utter luddite such as myself. Some of my friends, and especially Mike Lange, desire to have as small an internet presence as possible (although not all of them, like Mike, do it because of their role in the witness protection program). I played hooky from Zayed yesterday - although, to be fair, I didn't have any classes or scheduled meetings, so I can't claim any serious measure of profligacy. I caught the 290 bus, which runs from right in front of the hotel cluster out on Yas Island and deposits you downtown. It cost 2 dirhams (about 60 cents) to ride the new, air-conditioned bus for an hour. Surprisingly, I actually remembered where to get off (right at Zayed the 1st Street) and made it to my bank, the local HSBC branch. While I was sitting around waiting to talk to the excellent Imtiaz Shaheedi, I had one of those cool foreign travel moments. The second floor waiting area was very clean, air-conditioned (thank god) and "western", with the exception of a couple things. First off, there was the large, elaborate and authentic Arabic coffee pot, with matching small cups, on the table. Someone would walk up occasionally to ask if I wanted some coffee, and then pour it if the answer was yes. Secondly, while I was killing time I looked at the information screen and saw the following message crawl across the bottom: "Interested in Shariah Compliant Financial Solutions?" When I filled out the paperwork to set up the account in the first place (over two weeks ago) I had the choice of selecting Islamic banking or "regular" banking. Since I chose "regular" banking I wasn't necessariloy looking for Shariah Compliant Financial Solutions, but it has become one of my favorite phrases. Imtiaz took care of all the paperwork and apparently I now have an account, although we he sent me the information last night it was devoured by the Champlain College filter, so I still don't really know anything about the account that I have - other than I have one, or at least I think I have one - and now a check!! The summer I taught in India I just was paid with large wads of rupees, so I never actually had a check - so this is a new thing. I guess I could add it to my list of 50 new things, which I'm supposed to be creating so that my good friend Trish will stop pestering me. She's doing this mainly to humiliate me because her 52 New Things - and her latest 50 New Things in Jordan - have become cultural touchstones. But more on that later.

After finishing up at the bank I walked to the Abu Dhabi Mall, which is where I was schedule to meet the shuttle, several hours later, that would take me back to Yas Island. While killing time in the posh mall I reveled in western consumerism - grabbing lunch at McDonald's (and a Big Mac meal cost exactly the same as it does in the US), ice cream at Coldstone (although they didn't have my favorite, the Boston Creme confectionary ice cream extravaganza) and a latte at Starbuck's (I chose it to take advantage of their wifi, which didn't come together because they charged for it - I guess I was thinking of Chinese Starbuck's which featured free wifi). I also had to do some shopping. In the chaos that was my trip planning/packing, I managed to leave with only four dress shirts, and one of which, my favorite, really is pretty threadbare, and has since arriving lost a pivotal button - so I was forced to guy a couple shirts. Well, the Abu Dhabi Mall was not a particularly good location for such a venture, at least for a poor professor. In every clothing store I entered a regular button-down shirt cost between $150-$200. Now, my friend Alfonso Capone, who is bit of a clothes-horse, tells me that this is a perfectly legitimate price to pay for a shirt, but I guess it's the Hoosier in me - I just couldn't do it. So, I walked into every shop until I found one with a 75% off sale, and ended up buying a couple nice shirts for around $30 a piece. So, in the end it was a success. The Radisson Blu shuttle arrived on time, and off I skated to home.

Now, I'll still have to travel back downtown on Saturday to deposit the check (the direct deposit won't be set up until time for the October payday), but I'm definitely making progress. Next goals: Emirati ID card and Emirati/International driver's license.

No comments: