Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Where Am I? (more specifically)



And here's another map that I found in a ZU glossy. The first map is an overview of the new Abu Dhabi campus. At the top is the beautiful auditorium with the administration building right below it. Then there is the courtyard, which is now sitting sadly vacant while the school decides what to do with the space. My theory is that they will add darkened glass to the space in the library that is overlooking the huge central courtyard and it will open up later in the year. Once the weather completedly breaks, and it has already started, the kids will be trying to tear down the walls to get outside. It is a really delicate cultural dance, and I do think that the administration here is doing the right thing in being sensitive to the more conservative parents. In the US we are used to revolutionary change; here in the UAE we're moving along at a more evolutionary pace. The key point is that they are still moving, and moving too fast, as history has shown us time and time again, usually has the opposite impact. Below the courtyard is the main female and male wings of the campus - the female on the left (where my classes are) and the male is on the right (where my office is). Below that is the library, which also has female and male floors and a segregated schedule for the common spaces. The second picture of a close-up with a few of my own clumsy notes added. I suspect I'm probably doing this more for my benefit than anybody else's, but I like to post maps to give a sense of the spacial structure. This place is huge. I went to an orientation session the other day and found out that the male population at Zayed is up to 19%, up from 9% last year, so things are definitely changing. It wwas also interesting to learn that 20% of the students are 18 and younger, with the other 80% being in the more traditional 19-24 range.

No comments: