Monday, December 12, 2011

Corniche of Beirut


If you visit Beirut, and you should, be sure to check out the Corniche. I know that we think in the US that no sane person would ever go to the Middle East, it is really a very short-sighted and utterly fatuous view. Granted, there are places where you might stumble into trouble, but that could also happen in New York or Chicago, of even in Burlington. As I've often stated, I've been all over the Middle East and have never had a bad experience. The Corniche winds around for a couple miles and it is a lovely walk. I suspect it would be a lot livelier at a different time of year, but it was actually pretty nice to be there at a time when it wasn't insanely crowded. So, let me post a few more pictures. The first is of my first view of the Corniche, as it stretched out in the distance. Eventually it takes a sharp left and you end up down my Pigeon Rock.

The second picture is turning back the other direction and zooming in a bit. You can see the mountains in the distance, including the snow covering at the peaks. And, yes, there is skiing in Lebanon.


The last picture is one of those shots which has no great value other than the fact that it makes me smile. I took it at the little seaside cafe where I stopped for white coffee (detailed earlier). There are a lot of fishermen along the entire Corniche, and one is in the distance. Up close is a beautiful black cat, who sort of reminds me of my old cat, Alex the Droog, from my Cincinnati days. He determined to get my attention (and part of my lunch).

No comments: