Thursday, June 14, 2012

Career Complete

I sent along a copy of my CV to my good friends Cyndy Brandenburg and Mike Kelly the other day in relation to a conference presentation proposal we submitted.  Almost immediately I received an email from Cyndi questioning my inclusion of Fire Warden along with the five other committees I've served on this year at Zayed.  I think she thought I was being facetious, but little did she know that I am, in fact, a ZU Fire Warden and have undergone the training (as witnessed by the following Powerpoint slide).  The roots of this odd position go back to the fall semester when, in the week leading up to a mid-semester break, I ended up being left in charge of University College for a week.  Naturally, all hell broke loose and it was generally a pretty crazy week.  Somehow, mainly through the good graces of my wonderful colleagues, we got through the week, and then on the last day I received an urgent request for the names of the University College Fire Wardens.  It seemed like the perfect ending to a perfect week.  So, I sent out a request to the good folks at UC and asked for volunteers, but made clear that I was first on the list (I never ask anyone to do something I am not willing to do myself).  Typical for UC, we quickly ended up with more volunteers than there were slots available.  Months went by and I didn't hear anything and then we received the request for the official training, which proved to be valuable and far more interesting than I would have thought.  So, I am a fully-trained Zayed University Fire Warden.  My only regret is that they didn't actually give us one of the cool Fire Warden vests because I would have shamelessly swiped it and spirited it back to Vermont.
So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

3 comments:

Bill Wixon said...

Dear God, they actually put the safety of other human beings in your hands?

Gary Scudder said...

Yeah, you can't be more frightened by that decision than I am. By the way, still need a baby-sitter when I get back in town?

Bill Wixon said...

Heh, forgotten I posted a comment here. Will probably need a babysitter. We moved to a place on Spear St. We have a backyard and I have a nice stainless steel grill. Been grilling almost every night. We have some good times ahead when you get back, my friend.

Oh, and the Masters is done. Diploma came couple weeks ago. What's next?