Monday, June 4, 2012

Everyday Life is Everyday Life

One of the things that experienced travelers quickly learn is that, with the obvious exceptions of your passport and a couple credit cards, you can easily get what you need overseas.  So, RELAX, and don't overpack.  I speak from experience, because I used to be guilty of bringing way too much (just look back at the pictures from my trip to China a few summers ago to see the mountainous pile of suitcases that I dragged through seven countries - idiotic).  You can actually buy what need along the way, even toothpaste and toothbrushes (with the obvious exception of my home state of Indiana, but that's another story).  All of these countries are full of folks whose daily lives are usually not that different than yours, and who need all the things everyday that you would need on a trip, and thus the items are readily available.  I was thinking of this the other day when it came time to get the oil changed in my beloved little Yaris.  Now, because it's a rental car I could have probably driven it out to the Hertz counter at the airport and cajoled them into doing it, but it just seemed simpler to do it myself (and doing it myself was another part of actually living here, as compared to just passing through).  Somehow, and to the point of this post, I had convinced myself that it would be difficult, and I was happy to be proven wrong.  I simply pulled into an ADNOC station and slid into the separate area for oil changes.  It took a grand total of around ten minutes, and the guys couldn't have been more pleasant or helpful.  Plus, they actually cleaned the engine compartment itself, which, in a country known for sandstorms, was greatly appreciated.  And I know that my Yaris is much happier and less likely to break down in the desert.

They were impressed by the powerful race car engine of the Yaris.

No comments: