Saturday, October 12, 2019

Another Sabbatical?

I guess if we're closing in on the Trip of Mystery (and my stupid 60th birthday) I guess it means that I'm closing in on another sabbatical. My last one centered around a year spent at Zayed University at Abu Dhabi in the UAE, and it was an extraordinary experience both professionally and personally. If this one comes even close to how amazing the other one was I may not survive it (and you can read that many different ways). Actually, I was supposed to be on sabbatical this year, but several of my all-time favorite students dragooned me into postponing it for a year so that I could bring them back to Jordan on another trip; if you're my age and you're postponing anything then you must love your students more than you would ever publicly admit. The plans for still up in the air, and I know that this is the very definition of jinxing the process, but right now it looks like I might be spending the spring semester 2021 in Bethlehem University in the West Bank and then following it up with time at Deakin University in Melbourne, Australia (or maybe it will blow up into something even bigger). When I know more you'll know more.So, I'll either be out of the country for eight months or maybe more than a year. As my most excellent friend Cyndi opined, "You're crazy, you know that you're crazy, right?"


No comments: