Wednesday, October 2, 2019

What It Means - Day 198

"INTERNAL STATES CONDUCIVE TO PERFECTING THE LIFE IN PRAYER

UNDERSTANDING
  Understanding the meaning of one's words is something goes beyond awareness, for one may be conscious of making an utterance, yet not be aware of the meaning of the utterance. What we mean by understanding, therefore, is an awareness that also includes comprehension of the meaning of one's utterance. People differ in this respect, not sharing a common understanding of the Quran and the glorifications.
  How many subtleties of meaning we come to understand in the course of ritual Prayer ! Things that had never occurred to us before . . .
  It is in this context that prayer becomes a deterrent to decency and mischief, for the understanding it bring is a positive obstacle to vice."
Abu Hamid al-Ghazali, Inner Dimension of Islamic Worship

Following up on yesterday's blog post, here is the second of al-Glazali's guidelines for prayer. Again, these are all of interest to me as I fight against - and am routinely trounced - by monkey mind. This "rule" from al-Ghazali is obviously huge, and one that truly speaks to me. I can't imagine where I'd be in my faith without the work of Seyyed Nasr, especially his The Heart of Islam and his Study Quran. My relationship with him, such as it is, actually began when I emailed him to thank him for his hard work and scholarship and, well, guidance; his response was kind and generous and something I'll always cherish. As I've said many times my favorite part of Ramadan is quietly studying the Quran, and there's so much depth and subtlety inherent in the book that I don't know how you can begin to grasp it without the related commentary.

What makes this especially interesting/meaningful/maddening to me is my own tortured relationship with Arabic. I've never shown any great proficiency with language, and this is especially true when you're talking about trying to learn a language as difficult as Arabic in your 50s. Essentially I suck at it. Once a brother told me that prayers in Islam only count when they're in Arabic, to which I replied something like, "Brother, stop it, and don't say that again." The absurdity of his statement is profound because God speaks many languages including many far older than Islam. You'll sometimes here a similar opinion, in my mind equally ill-considered, in relation to a brother or sister offering suggestions on interpreting the Quran if they don't speak Arabic. It forms the default shutdown of discussion, especially if the Arabic-speaking brother is being lead into an area that is controversial or at least uncomfortable.Their response will be something between a gentle "But, brother, if you spoke Arabic . . ." to a more terse "You do not speak Arabic so you are not fit to comment on this issue." As we've discussed previously, a small percentage of the world's Muslims speak Arabic as a first language, so on one level (and this is the Marxist is me coming out) this is a very conscious or even unconscious effort to promote the primacy of a part of the world that may have given birth to the faith but is now a corner of the Dar al-Islam. If you're reading serious commentary, and from different perspectives, that walk you through the complexities of the issue, and that can include debates over Arabic construction, then I do think you're fit to comment on Quranic interpretation. Yes, it would be wonderful if we (Muslims) all spoke Arabic so that we could have deeper conversations about the meanings of the Quran and the ahadith but we don't. What matters is the broader conversation, and the role of every individual playing an active role in their life of faith, not a small minority playing the intellectual Get Out Of Jail card to end the debate.

Now, spinning back to prayer, I think the same thing holds true. What matters is you understanding the weight of the words you're speaking, no matter the language, not simply parroting Arabic phrases because that makes it easier for you to fit into the club.

Having said all that, yes, I really should learn Arabic, and I'm going to redouble my efforts. This is especially pressing in regards to something that may very well be happening soon, but more on that later.



No comments: