Sunday, October 27, 2019

What It Means - Day 223

"Why don't you struggle in the way of God and on behalf of those who are oppressed? On behalf of those men, women and youth who say 'O Lord! Help us to escape from this town whose people oppress us, give us a guardian appointed by you, and grant us aid from one close to you.'"
Quran 4:75

The more I study the Quran the more glaringly clear it is to me that Islam is a faith about, among other things obviously, justice. I mean, I knew this, and certainly writers like Nasr in the Heart of Islam made the point repeatedly, but as I read and reread the Quran and the ahadith it just keeps jumping out at me. Islam is not a faith that allows you to sit on the sidelines; rather, we are required to fight the good fight. to always stand against oppression. Increasingly this leads me to call out non-Muslims who attack our faith, but I think it also puts me at loggerheads with folks inside of my own faith. We can't be a religion that stresses justice, but then act unjustly towards women or members of the LGBT community within our own ummah.


No comments: