Friday, October 25, 2019

What It Means - Day 221

"Truly the believers have prospered, who are humble in their prayers, and who turn away from idle talk, and who give the alms, and who guard their private parts, save from their spouses or those whom their right hand possess, for then they are not blameworthy - and as for those who seek beyond that, it is they who are transgressors - and who keep their trusts and their covenant, and who are mindful of their prayers. It is they who are the heirs, who shall inherit Paradise, abiding therein."
Quran 23:1-10

Here are the first ten verses from the 23rd surah, al-Mu'minun, here rendered as "The Believers." Actually, this passage is very similar to a section from surah 70 that I wrote about a couple months ago, and, truthfully, I think I like the other one a tad better. I've said many times that I'm drawn to the sections in the Quran which provide a very specific list of actions to perform (not that I don't like the more metaphoric chapters as well, naturally). This particular passage calls for a very straight-forward, mindful and humble approach to life. And while I can't begin to understand God, I can understand this appeal.


No comments: