Monday, January 6, 2020

The Trip of Mystery Reveal Eve

Yes, it's 6 January 2020, which means that it is the day before my 60th birthday, and also the eve of the big reveal of my Trip of Mystery destination. So, where's Scuddo?  As you know I've been talking about the idea of heading off to parts unknown for my 60th birthday for seemingly ever, but in the end I decided to just plan it and go. As anyone who knows me will tell you I'm a huge believer that crimes of omission are much worse than crimes of commission. Happily all the proceeds from the Trip of Mystery contest are going to support TechDren, the NGO run by Champlain College students that collects, refurbishes and delivers laptops to elementary school children in Zanzibar; in fact, there is a TechDren team in Zanzibar even as we speak delivering laptops - the only reason why I'm not with them is that, well, I'm here, wherever here is.

Damn, the world is really big. I don't envy you guys having to figure out where I am right now. You're clearly going to earn your 1) glory, and 2) victory dinner on my dime.
My guess is that today I'm probably feeling more than a bit melancholy (obviously I'm writing this months in advance and leaving it to the Nano Overlords to release the blog post on schedule) as I head into 60, but who knows? It's going to be so strange to be that north/south of the Equator/Tropic of Capricorn/Tropic of Cancer and the days are so long/short . . .


No comments: