Saturday, January 4, 2020

What It Means - Day 292

I Have Learned So Much

I
Have Learned
So much from God
That I can no longer
Call
Myself

A Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim,
A Buddhist, a Jew.

The Truth has shared so much of Itself
With me

That I can no longer call myself
A man, a woman, an angel,
Or even pure
Soul.

Love has
Befriended Hafiz so completely
It has turned to ash
And freed
Me

Of every concept and image
My mind has ever known.

Hafiz

I know that many mainstream Muslims are somewhat suspicious of the Sufis - and we've discussed how Seyyed Nasr is more than a little suspicious about popular translations of Rumi or Hafiz or the other Sufi poets - but I love many of them, and they played a profound role in my path to Islam. This poem, especially, is one that speaks to me. It wasn't until I converted to Islam, and truly began to study it, that I began to understand the universality of all religions (making our centuries of internecine conflict all the more tragic).


No comments: