Friday, January 10, 2020

What It Means - Day 298

Love is the Funeral Pyre

Love is
The funeral pyre
Where I have laid my living body.

All the false notions of myself
That once caused fear, pain,

Have turned to ash
As I neared God.

What has risen
From the tangled web of thought and sinew

Now shine with jubilation
Through the eye of angels

And screams from the guts of
Infinite existence
Itself.

Love is the funeral pyre
Where the heart must lay
Its body.

Hafiz

When I'm trying to mess with the minds of first year students, which is essentially all the time, I will propose that death is actually a birth and vice-versa. It usually leads to quiet sobbing. However, isn't this what Hafiz is trying to get at here? Love, transcendent, divine love, is the funeral pyre where illusion (represented by pain and fear) has been destroyed.


No comments: