Tuesday, January 7, 2020

The Trip of Mystery Reveal

OK, it's 7 January 2020 and I've turned 60 today. Inshallah I'm still alive and am where I'm supposed to be on the Trip of Mystery itinerary. Those who had Swakopmund, Namibia in the pool are the winners! As you know, while all the proceeds went to TechDren and their work to bring laptops to Zanzibar, you do win two things: 1) glory (it is a big planet), and 2) I will take you to dinner on my own dime. Now, at this moment - and obviously and writing this months in advance and leaving it to the Nano Overlords to release on schedule - no one has in fact chosen Swakopmund, Namibia. In case no one actually jumps in with Swakopmund (which means that my efforts to distribute red herrings has worked) then I'll probably reward the person who has chosen the closest destination. Seriously, someone should win.

I'll apologize in advance for posting this picture, which I obviously borrowed from the Internet (my apologies, Internet). When I actually drive by the sign on 7 January, 2020 I'll snap another picture, hopefully with me in it somehow, and replace this one when I get back.

And I desperately hope to replace this one with my own. I'm sure Swakopmund is a lovely town and I'm looking forward to the stay, but giant sand dunes crashing into the ocean is clearly why I'm heading to this corner of the planet.


No comments: