Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Mornings with the Ramayana

 Yes, my sabbatical has begun. Technically, I guess, it probably doesn't begin until the spring semester begins, which would officially signal the fact that I'm not teaching. However, I don't want to wait because two days of sluffing off becomes six months (at least with me). So, ever since I handed in grades from last semester I've been writing every day, including on Christmas and New Year's days. 

A well-marked section from the Uttarakanda, the seventh and final book of the Ramayana. Most of my chapter on the Ramayana is already written but some of it is based on versions of the epic before I managed to collect all books that make up the Critical Edition (I think there are two complete copies of the Critical Edition of the Ramayana in Vermont, one at St. Michael's College and mine). So, I'm finishing another deep read, if for no other reason to make sure that I have the most authoritative passages. Plus, the chapter needs a real cleaning up.




No comments: