Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Sita Amman Temple

 As is well-documented it is usually me that takes the pictures, both overseas and closer to home. I get a goodly amount of grief for this, at least until someone needs pictures. If I'm on a student trip then I'm, naturally, taking pictures of my students' responses to the wonders that I've fortunately seen before. Consequently, it's pretty rare that a picture of me overseas pops up. Happily, here is one of those rarities, and a picture that I'd never seen before. Here I am talking to Sally Tate Meacham and Carolanne Kelly at the Sita Amman Temple in Sri Lanka, right next to the footprint of Lord Hanuman (caused when he leapt across the ocean from India in search of Sita). Thanks to the excellent Michael Manfredi for sending this picture along.

The picture was a particularly well-timed surprise because I've been buried deep in the Ramayana as I'm trying to get off to a good start on my sabbatical writing. It's also inspiring me to design another Ramayana-themed student trip, this time focusing entirely on Sri Lanka.



No comments: