Friday, January 22, 2021

Sweet Gift

 I've talked a few times about last year's turmoil in my personal life. Before I left for the Trip of Mystery my long-term relationship fell apart and it turned what was supposed to be a celebration of a landmark into a bit of a dirge. It also meant that I ended up not getting any presents for my 60th birthday, which, considering what the world would soon be going through isn't really much of a problem. However, it seems a fitting metaphor for that painful point in my life. However, it's also not completely true, because I did end up getting a gift for my birthday. One of the women who worked at the hotel where I stayed in Windhoek in Namibia figured out that it was my birthday and gave me a large bar of white chocolate. Again, metaphorically, I guess it worked out, because to me it meant that life goes on and you find joy in all sorts of unexpected places.

This is how it arrived. Where it came from I don't know, and I don't care, it didn't stop me from eating it - and from appreciating the kindness.



No comments: