Monday, June 7, 2010

Back in VT


OK, so I've made it back safe and sound to Vermont, and am missing South Africa far more than I thought possible. I'll include a cool picture of some guys surfing that I took the last day I was walking around the beach at Port Elizabeth. Yesterday morning I was working out in the fitness center in my apartment and a story came on the TV with a reporter talking about the world cup and reporting live from Johannesburg - and I had that bizarre reality flash where you can't believe you were just there the day before. The trip back was pretty painless, all things considered. There were no new movies in the rotation on the South African flight, so I ended up sleeping for a lot longer than I normally pull off - and also listening to Kind of Blue by Miles Davis about five times (it was one of the musical choices, and much appreciated). The flight from Johannesburg to JFK was seventeen hours, and I didn't score a bulkhead or emergency row seat, but it turned out OK anyway. We stopped in Dakar to refuel, and that was pretty painless. I never add stop-overs where I leave the airport to my list of countries visited - so Senegal goes in that special queue with England, Belgium and Uganda of countries that I need to "revisit" - although I will be adding Belgium this summer on the way back from India. Can't wait to get back to South Africa.

No comments: