Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My Lunch with Jenica



Today I had a lovely lunch with my good friend Jenica Norrish - the first of what I think is going to be a year of goodbyes. Jenica and her husband Tom are leaving Champlain and heading to California for an exciting new opportunity. In between a new city and new jobs for both of them, they're also expecting their first child. So, exciting times in the Norrish travelling road show. We met at The Spot down on Shelburne Road - it's the first time I had ever eaten lunch there and it was pretty good. Jenica is one of my closest friends at Champlain and I'm going to miss her tremendously, although I'm also excited for where she is and where she's headed (both geographically and in life itself). She played a huge role in the success of the GMs when she spent a year assisting me - and also travelling with me to Jordan so that she could meet the students at the University of Jordan. We also did some sight-seeing, including an epic trip to Petra where she constantly made use of not one but two cameras - Jenica Camerahands. She ended up taking something like eight hundred pictures - some of which she blew up and gave to me and which I proudly display in my office. Not only did she produce some important publicity for the GMs, she also constructed the GM blog. She's a complete travel junkie and has already put in reservations for wherever I spend my sabbatical, especially if it is in Africa. Last year she was part of a great team of Champlain folks who made their way to China. I'm including two pictures, one of which includes the famous Jenica rolling of the eyes which I've only seen about a thousand times. Normally when people leave the great fear is that you'll never see them again. In regards to Jenica I don't have that fear at all - I'm taking the same approach that my best friend David Kelley and I always take to New Orleans - we know we'll be back. I know Jenica and I will remain close. She's taught me so much about taking chances and has always been a remarkably supportive and faithful friend. Safe travels, Jenica, and thanks for keeping me a part of the adventure!

1 comment:

KBL said...

Well, it's nice to know I am not the only one who rolls my eyes at you....