Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sterkfontein Caves







A couple days ago I posted about my driving adventure on the way out to Sterkfondein Caves. I thought I'd take the opportunity to post some pictures of the caves. Some of the oldest remains of protohumans were found there, and the caves themselves are impressive. However, the day had to start with a little shopping. Zanetta came over to the Elegant Inn to pick me up. We had to swing by the local mall to do a little shopping first. I was trying to pack light - and also had not properly planned for how far advanced fall was in South Africa. It wasn't terribly cold or anything, but a bit unseasonably cold. So off we went to buy an inexpensive sweatshirt. By some miracle - and totally without any conscious/subconscious coaching from Zanetta - I ended up with a Zwazulu Natal Sharks sweatshirt - and the fact that this is her hometown and favorite rugby team was a complete coincidence. Anyway, appropriately dressed we made our way an hour or so outside of town. The countryside was ruggedly beautiful. The cave sort of reminded me of one that I visited last summer in Slovakia (the pictures of which, sadly, disappeared when my camera was stolen in Barcelona).

No comments: