Monday, June 14, 2010

Life in Vermont: the Vegan Cupcake









Yes, I know, a post singing the praises of a vegan cupcake a couple of posts after one recounting the adventure to the A&W restaurant in Middlebury in pursuit of cheese curds does seem a tad odd. However, these are really fantastic cupcakes - plus, because they're vegan I can convince myself that eating so many of them is actually good for me! My friend Cinse introduced me to them, and we manage to make it down to Uncommon Ground once or twice a week (or a day, if needed) in pursuit of the cupcakes. Uncommon Ground is a great coffeeshop down on Church Street, our local alternative to Starbucks (and Vermonters love local alternatives to everything - which is why we don't have a McDonald's in our state capital of Monepelier [the only state capital without a McDonald's], and, for that matter, we don't have a McDonald's in downtown Burlington). It was an absolutely stunning day - sunny with a temperature in the lower 70's, which is the definitive Vermont summer day (although the last two summers we had way too many utterly wet and dreary days), so I rode my large and clunky bike over to Cinse's house and then we walked back downtown in pursuit of cupcakes (sometimes they run out of them, but Cinse told me that they definitely had them that day - because she'd already been there once). I am such a child, and apparently a demonic once, because I get this odd thrill out of the fact that a cupcake and a medium cafe latte is $6.66 - and I've told them that if they change the prices I'll have to take my business elsewhere. After the cupcake extravaganza we went for a long walk down by the lake. Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in the chaos of everyday life and forget what an amazingly beautiful place Vermont is, so it was great just to sit down by the lake and soak up the sun. An utterly wonderful Sunday.

No comments: