Friday, June 25, 2010

Carpet Shopping




Some of my best times overseas have been spent shopping for carpets, which often include craftsmenship, societal lessons, tea drinking and quiet theatrics. Today was no exception. Dad, Annie and I walked a couple blocks to the CIE, which is a good place to buy any number of products made by local craftsmen. Dad and Annie were attempting to buy a carpet for his wife, Holly. She wanted a carpet which was more muted and neutral in its colors, which eliminated a lot of the carpet inventory (especially a couple blue and red ones which, if I were not a poor professor, I would have purchased), especially the silk carpets (they tended to be more vibrant in color and wouldn't have worked out). So, we focused our attention, mostly, on the wool carpets - I say mostly because the salesman, who was actually a very nice guy, kept magically slipping in silk carpets for our consideration, even though they were twice the price. However, the price, in this case, was less of a problem than the fact that they just didn't match what we were looking for, but you can't blame him for trying. These carpets were manufactured in Kashmir and were really beautiful. Unfortunately, the negotiations were very peaceful and respectful, and I was unable to initiate the sort of almost operatic high drama that I live for in haggling. We ended up with a lovely carpet, although my father had his heart set on another beautiful carpet but at the last moment we noticed some damage to the carpet which was more substantial than a simple water stain that would wash out. I knew the deal was just about done with the requisite cups of tea appeared.

No comments: