Tuesday, January 26, 2016

My Year With Proust - Day 28

  "'No,' he returned, explaining by his words the tone in which they were uttered.  'No, I do not know them; I have never wished to know them; I have always made a point of preserving complete independence; at heart, as you know, I am a bit of a Radical.  People are always coming to me about it, telling me I am mistaken in not going to Guermantes, that I make myself seem ill-bred, uncivilized, an old beat.  But that's not the sort of reputation that can frighten me; it's too true!  In my heart of hearts, I care for nothing in the world now but a few churches, books - two or three pictures - rather more, perhaps, and the light of the moon when the fresh breeze of youth (such as yours) wafts to my nostrils the scent of gardens whose flowers my old eyes are not sharp enough, now, to distinguish.'"
Marcel Proust, Swann's Way, pp. 134-135

This is a post which I know will be revisited several times and will doubtless end up being quite lengthy.  At first blush it reminds me of Manhattan, one of my favorite movies, and the scene at the end where the Woody Allen character is reflecting on what makes life worth living. So, if I were Allen lying back on the couch what images would be rushing into my head? I'll leave aside the equivalent versions of Tracy's face, at least for the time being.  I'll also set aside books in this post, although I completely agree on Flaubert's Sentimental Education, mainly because I started discussing books on a related post a couple weeks ago (which I need to get back to, come to think of it).

Proust writes, "In my heart of hearts, I care for nothing in the world now but a few churches, books - two or three pictures - rather more, perhaps, and the light of the moon when the fresh breeze of youth (such as yours) wafts to my nostrils the scent of gardens whose flowers my old eyes are not sharp enough now, to distinguish." This will definitely be evolutionary.

I would have to include Gauguin's The Spirit of Death Watches, which, as every one of my students can attest, is not only my favorite painting of all time but also "the greatest painting in the world."



Now, why would it make this list? First off, Gauguin is my favorite painter, so it would make perfect sense that my favorite painting would be one of his.  I just think it's beautiful, and, as the critics like to say, fully realized.  Even more, however, I simply love the metaphor.  Life is sweet and supple and beautiful, but it is transient; death is always there, although not terrifying or judgmental or apocalyptic, just present.  So plan accordingly. I tend to slide a copy of this painting in as my computer wallpaper when I'm working on a project, as the not to subtle reminder to keep working.  More importantly, it is a reminder of what is important in life (and life is always more important than work).

No comments: