Monday, January 4, 2016

Snake Mountain

And on a bitterly cold day (stupid Vermont), what would be better than reflecting back on summer.  Well, I could be sitting in one of the historic squares in Savannah enjoying 78 degree weather (which is what I was doing last week, but more on that later).  Today I'm thinking about the time that my son Gary and I climbed up Snake Mountain, which I had not done since I went up it with my friend Trish many years ago.  One of the things that has made this last year special is having Gary back in the state, which allows us to spend a lot of time together.  The day we climbed was one of those, thankfully, rare days in Vermont that are stiflingly hot and humid. In the end we survived, with the only problem being that high humidity limited the normally spectacular view.

Even though I had climbed the trail before I did manage to get us lost initially.  However, once we actually tracked down the trail head it was a great, if hot and humid, climb.

I love this picture, and not simply because it is a fairly worthy homage to Wanderer Above the Sea of Mist.

All in all a wonderful day, even if I did blow my knee out on the way down and it took (is taking) months to recover. A very small price to pay to spend time with my favorite person in the whole world.

No comments: