Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Caliente

Just when I think I'm going to be driven to distraction because of the arduous task of leading student trips overseas, both because of the students' (totally age-appropriate) buffoonery and the college's (totally unacceptable) incompetence, I agree to lead more trips.  In this case I, along with my great friend and colleague Mike Kelly, put in a proposal to embed a travel component into a COR 220, Aesthetic Expression, class for fall semester 2016.  We'd be travelling over Thanksgiving break, and I can imagine the posters already - "Thanksgiving in Madrid!"  The class would be offered in the first semester of their sophomore year, which means we have the unenviable challenge of getting a group of second semester freshmen to focus long enough to convince their parents to support the trip.  Herding cats, indeed.  However, it's a, comparatively, fairly inexpensive trip as these things go, so I would think we should be able to inspire ten students to make the trip.  Now, I'm also putting together a spring 2017 trip, with the excellent Cyndi Brandenburg, to India and Sri Lanka, and hopefully I won't be my own worst enemy by spreading myself too thin.  That said, both troops are shaping up to be fantastic educational opportunities - and also great fun - so this may actually work.

I'm sure I'll need all the divine assistance I can get to lead a group of college students to Madrid and Lisbon.

No comments: