Sunday, February 7, 2016

Goon with a Top Hat

And the last of the oddities that my son and I tracked tracked down during our trip south.  This is the famous/infamous Goon with a Top Hat, which can be found in Kenly, North Carolina at a Corvette repair shop along Route 301. I originally figured that he was a re-purposed Piggly Wiggly statue, but I guess the story is that he escaped from a Tastee Freez.  When we pulled up on a Sunday a guy came out, potentially expecting either business or family or friends, but instead was greeted by two goons making a pilgrimage to the Goon.  He just smiled and waved, and retreated inside.

He clearly needs a coat of paint, and you can barely see the barbwire fence that protects the brim of the oil drum top hat.

The goon visiting the Goon.  The Goon is sadly, although also safely, spending his retirement years inside the fenced in portion of the auto repair yard, protected by a small canine army.  Truthfully, I doubt if my end will be that dignified.

No comments: