Saturday, February 6, 2016

Pemba Maybe

We are now down to a few weeks until we head out on our student trip to Tanzania, with stops in Dar Es Salaam, Zanzibar and, potentially, theoretically, hypothetically, Pemba. We've, and especially my friend and colleague Steve, been working continually to include Pemba on our itinerary for the trip.  On my visit to Zanzibar a few years ago we didn't make it to Pemba, but in this case, because this class is entitled Sacred & Secular, and because the island is the center of all east African witchcraft, it just seems like it is essential.  And we have a ton of great things lined up, including bull fights (not the same as the Spanish equivalent - these are more exhibitions), visits to local shamans, and flying foxes. I wish I could drag my friend Dave Kelley along; I'm sure nothing would make him happier than a glorified bat with a five foot wing span. Our problem is that we can't seem to figure out the ferry schedule, and every person and every website we visit gives us a different answer.  Steve's main contact, Kombo Bakar on Pemba, and mine, Kuya in Dar Es Salaam, are sort of working on the issue.  Yes, travel in Africa.  It always starts off as pure unadulterated chaos, but then ends up as amazing and life-changing.  Now, if we can only get to Pemba.  Maybe via flying fox?

It doesn't look that far . . .

Did I mention the flying foxes?

I can't decide whether the best title is "Dave, it's just a cute dog with wings" or "Surrender Dorothy".

No comments: