Thursday, March 19, 2020

Camel Cart Rides

When I have more time, and we're not being daily threatened by the zombie apocalypse, I'll try and make sense of the recent manic student trip to India. I suppose I shouldn't overstate its stress, because we did make it back across the border into the US with 11 minutes to spare . . .

Nevertheless, it ended up being a great trip, and now that I've finished my latest self-imposed writing challenge (as compared to my self-isolation) I'm going to start getting caught up on some posts.  On last year's trip I ventured to Rajasthan for the first time and I loved it, and the students loved, and the students loved it again this year. Pushkar has been a joy on both trips, and this time we actually had the opportunity to head around town in one of their famous camel carts. On the one hand it's rather touristy, but it's not as if the locals don't take camel cart rides themselves. Next time we need to get even further out into the desert, obviously, but no matter we'll definitely be heading back to Pushkar.

And here is our mini-cavaran of camel carts heading out. They came and picked us up at our glamping site (more on that later) and we cruised around for over an hour.

Naturally, the students, in this particular case Sara, loved the camels.

And here was a nosy friend on the ride back.

I really love Rajasthan, and my friend and colleague discussed running an entire course just based on Rajasthan alone, and it would be pretty epic .


No comments: