Thursday, March 5, 2020

What It Means - Day 353

Sunday afternoon I found myself in the Food Shelf stocking shelves with the items that my friends have brought along to the previous day's Winter Four Sport Triathlon. I have a key because I'm playing an increasingly big role at the Food Shelf, which makes me very happy. Anyway, I was standing there unpacking bags and checking expiration dates (not on the toilet paper, that would be stupid - even for me) and it dawned on me the odd path my life has taken, but that it's also a rich, rewarding path that brings me satisfaction and joy. Charity is a huge part of Islam, as you know it is one of the Five Pillars, and that charity can take many forms. As I've discussed in the past, the Prophet told us that any act of kindness is charity. I don't think I volunteer simply because I converted (even back in Atlanta over twenty years ago I participated in the Georgia Radio Reading Program - it was reading Playboy to the blind, but still . . .), but my dedication to giving back has definitely increased because of my faith. One of my goals for the next year is to devote even more time to the Food Shelf and also TechDren.

Oh, and if you're thinking of donating, toilet paper is a very popular item. And feminine products. It may be the Food Shelf, but we provide a lot more than just food.


No comments: